Alleged ‘Innocence of Muslims’ filmmaker taken for interviewing: report
Los Angeles County authorities have taken the man believed to be the filmmaker behind ‘Innocence of Muslims’ for interviewing after the anti-Islam movie sparked protests across the Arab world, The Los Angeles Times reported on Saturday.
Nakoula Basseley Nakoula was escorted to an awaiting car. The man, wore a hat and a towel over his face, declined to answer questions on his way out.
Steve Whitmore, spokesman of the Los Angeles County sheriff, told NBC4 that deputies assisting the federal probation department took Nakoula to the sheriff’s substation in Cerritos for interviewing.
However, The Times quoted Whitmore as saying that Nakoula was taken in for a voluntary interview with probation officials and has not been arrested or detained.
Nakoula had told the Associated Press he was a logistics manager on the ‘Innocence of Muslims’ movie, not the director.
He is believed to use the alias Sam Bacile, which was the name a caller who took credit for the film gave to AP and the Wall Street Journal.
According to The LA report, on Friday, U.S. courts spokeswoman Karen Redmond said the Office of Probation in the Central District of California was reviewing whether Nakoula, who was convicted on bank fraud charges, violated terms of his probation in relation to the video and its uploading onto the web.
He had been ordered not to own or use devices with access to the Web without approval from his probation officer -– and any approved computers were to be used for work only. Restrictions were also placed on him enlisting others to get on the Internet for him, the LA said.
Nakoula told American Arabic-language Radio Sawa on Friday he has no regrets about making the film.
“No, I do not regret it. I am saddened by the killing of the ambassador but I do not regret making it,” Nakoula said.
He was referring to the killing of U.S. ambassador to Libya Chris Stevens and three other Americans in an attack on the U.S. consulate in the Libyan city of Benghazi reportedly by a mob angered by the film.
“I am the one who leaked the 14 minutes and put it on the Internet and I am thinking about releasing the full film. Nobody manipulated my film,” Nakoula said.
Asked if he felt guilty that the violence is being directed against U.S. citizens, Nakoula said: “Yes, I feel guilty. America has nothing to do with this subject and is suffering the consequences of a film that has nothing to do with it.”
By Al Arabiya